You have a completed product, and now you want to certify it per DO-178B so can fly? Possible? Absolutely …
While DO-178B was developed primarily for new, custom development avionics products, there is now a booming business in DO-178B reverse-engineering. The DO-178B Industry Group has many members whose principal business is in helping you reverse engineer your product so it can meet DO-178B certification standards.
What is required for DO178B reverse engineering?
- Preparation of, then following, the five key DO-178B process plans and three standards
- Performing a Gap Analysis of your existing product and processes to identify and mitigate all the gaps (shortcomings) pertaining to DO-178B
- Selecting the various tools to help you perform the various DO-178B activities for requirements, design, code, and test
- DO-178B Training to ensure your personnel can do the reverse-engineering work productively and proficiently, or
- Outsourcing the DO-178B Reverse Engineering activity to one of several companies focusing upon this service
- Developing your Safety Analysis, DO-178B Requirements/Design/Traceability documentation, performing verification, adhering to DO-178B CM and QA requirements, and DER oversight of the reverse engineering processes.